Tuesday 31 May 2011

So, I did the recording for kill author.

I didn't know it was possible to get such adrenaliney nerves about reading something in the privacy of your own room.

Take 1 was a cracklefest and I spent quite some time trying to pretend I was a logical, technical-minded being who knew how to fix it, when in reality I felt like that part in Zoolander where Owen Wilson is hitting the computer with a rock to try to get to the files inside. Turns out all I had to do was switch my laptop to battery power and the sound quality was perfect. Sometimes there is a technical solution so simple that even I can understand it. I just wish I didn't have to scythe through an overgrown wasteland of jargon to get there.


Take 2, I was more nervous than Take 1. I think my nerves were shredded beyond repair by all the techno-hoohah. But I read as well as I could. I tried to pause. I tried to breathe. And I tried to think of how the lovely Stephen Fry would do it (yes, I've been listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks again). And when it was done, I listened to it and although there were parts I would've liked to change, I didn't cringe and I didn't feel like those recurring dreams I get where everyone sees me peeing (true story). It was good enough. And in this case, perfectionism be damned; good enough really was good enough. So that was the take I submitted. 


So, it's done. Did I sink the duck? Or did I graze the dog? Stay tuned to find out.

2 comments:

  1. Another cheery number, eh? Brilliant. Some particularly special lines like "six boxes of books is too many words for one person to carry..." and the one about dividing the DVDs into comedy and tragedy. And great to hear you read it too!

    R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were can find you reading kill author? I can not find the link!!!
    if you could help that would be amazing...

    Thanks Nicky xx

    ReplyDelete